Food & Water
Plan to have enough food and water for four to five days.
- Save enough water to last for a minimum of 72 hours.
- Have one gallon of water per day for each person.
- Do not drink water from the faucet until you have been officially notified that it is not contaminated.
- If you must use tap water, do one of the following:
- Use water purification tablets.
- Apply 8 drops of unscented household bleach per gallon.
- Boil it.
Note: If you plan on using the bleach, consult your physician to ensure that you do not have a condition that this would affect.
Without electricity, food in the refrigerator will spoil. Do not eat it. Have access to the following:
- Canned juices
- Granola bars
- Instant coffee, tea, cocoa
- Special foods for individuals with special diets
- Sugar, salt, pepper, spices, and bread (staples)
- Sweetened cereal, candy (stress food)
- Undamaged commercial canned goods, i.e., ready-to-eat canned, meats, fruits, and vegetables