Recycling Do's and Don'ts
What can you recycle?
Do Place These Items in Your Recycle Cart:
- Newspapers, inserts, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, office paper, soft-covered books, file folders, soda cartons and crushed boxes from items such as cereal, tissues, rice and pasta
- Plastic containers with necks narrower than body such as soda bottles, milk, water, detergent and shampoo containers (without caps or lids), plastic containers #1 through #7
- Glass food and beverage containers, milk/juice cartons and drink boxes
- Aluminum and steel food and beverage containers
- Flattened cardboard from non-food items such as shipping boxes (each side no more than 2 ft long)
Tip: Items don't have to be squeaky clean to be recycled. Instead, focus on keeping items like plastic bottles and containers clean and dry.
Caps and Lids
- Plastic bottle and container caps are recyclable, but they must be put back on empty containers before tossing in the bin.
- Aerosol caps must be removed before recycling.
- Plastic lids from any food or beverage cans must be removed before recycling.
Do Not Place These Items in Your Recycle Cart:
- Bagged Recyclables
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic bags
- Rechargeable batteries
- Certain glass products including window or auto glass, light bulbs, mirrors, glass cookware or bake ware and ceramics
- Gas cylinders, tanks, rocks, debris, flammables, and small appliances
- Electronic waste and accessories
- Medical waste and pharmaceuticals
- Household garbage including food scraps, pizza boxes, and miscellaneous plastics such as toys and cups
- Hazardous waste including motor oil, paint, pesticides, and household cleaners
- Yard and plant debris
Please keep recycling free of contamination by putting only acceptable items into recycling carts. Not everything made from plastic can be recycled, and that's OK! Trash items that are not acceptable to be recycled instead.
To learn more, please visit Waste Management's Recycling 101 or download and print the recycling guide here: https://www.wm.com/content/dam/wm/documents/RecyclingResources/Posters-Guides-Tools/Recycling-Myths.pdf
For questions, call Waste Management at 954-974-7500, or Town of Davie at 954-797-1045.