FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
APRIL 13, 2023, AT 4:30 P.M.
WEATHER EVENT UPDATES: TOWN OPERATIONS, CLOSURES AND SAFETY REMINDERS
DAVIE, Fla. - The Town of Davie is currently assessing the impacts of the rain event which occurred over the past few days. Please take note of the changes to the Town’s operations for today, April 13, 2023.
- All Town municipal functions will continue as normally scheduled.
Parks and Special Events Updates
- The Sounds of the Town concert in the park originally scheduled for Friday, April 14, 2023, at the Davie Pine Island Park (Bamford Sports Complex) is canceled due to field flooding.
- All Town parks will close at sunset tonight.
- All grass sports fields at the Bamford Sports Complex are closed.
- All Town sports activities are canceled.
- The Pine Island Multipurpose Center and the Pine Island Fitness and Aquatic Center will close at 9 p.m.
Solid Waste Services
- Due to the heavy rainfall and flooding, the Davie bulk disposal facility is closed today, April 13, 2023. This is causing bulk pick-up delays which may impact residential bulk pick-up through the weekend. If you have not received services by 7 p.m., your bulk trash will be serviced the next day.
- Curbside garbage pickup is delayed due to inclement weather and residents may not receive services today, April 13, 2023. If you do not receive garbage pickup today, you will be picked up on your next regularly scheduled garbage pick-up day.
- As a proactive measure, the Town's stormwater drainage division continues to inspect and remove debris from storm drains. The Town is also continuing to work with the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) and Central Broward Water Control District to lower the secondary and primary canal systems.
- Owners of private drainage systems are asked to take the time to evaluate and clear their catch basins, swales and other drainage facilities of potential debris that may cause a blockage of the system. It is possible that during heavy rainfall, street and neighborhood drains may become overwhelmed and cause localized flooding. This type of flooding should dissipate as the rain subsides.
Broward County Updates
- Broward County has declared a Local State of Emergency.
- Due to the volume of flooding and debris on the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International (FLL) Airport airfields, the airport will remain closed for flight activity today, Thursday, April 13, until 5AM, Friday, April 14, 2023.
- Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) are closed today, Thursday, April 13.
- Parents and students are encouraged to monitor BCPS’ news outlets for an update on classes for tomorrow, Friday, April 14.
- BCPS afterschool activities, including field trips and nighttime classes, are canceled.
Avoid Flood Dangers
- Do not walk through, swim or allow children to play in standing water. Puddles and standing water are full of hidden dangers, including snakes and other wildlife, broken glass and other sharp objects.
- Do not drive through standing water. Your car engine may stall, potentially causing irreparable damage to the engine. The wake from your car may cause additional flooding in nearby homes and other structures. If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route. Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
There are multiple ways to register and stay informed about important information from the Town of Davie:
Residents are encouraged to monitor trusted news providers such as the National Weather Service Miami.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
Ariana Briceno, Public Relations Assistant