Posted on December 4, 2017
Town of Davie’s, “If I Were Elected Mayor Contest”
The Town of Davie in partnership with the Florida League of Mayors and the Florida League of Cities is inviting all Davie middle school students to participate in the, If I were elected Mayor contest. The contest is open to all seventh-grade students in public, private as well as homeschooled schools located in Davie. Students are encouraged to learn and write about Home Rule and how it impacts the Town. A completed official entry form must be signed and stapled to the front of each essay submission.
Completed application and essay must be postmarked by January 19, 2018, and be sent to:
Florida League of Mayors
Post Office Box 1757
Tallahassee, FL 32302
Essays will be judged by a committee comprised of members from the Florida League of Mayors Board of Directors. Three statewide winners will be selected.
- A student can only submit one essay.
- Essays should be typed; should be no more than 250 words long; and not be more than one page. Please adhere to the word count.
- Essays will become the property of the Florida League of Mayors and will not be returned.
- First, second and third place essays will be published in the Florida League of Cities Quality Cities magazine and on the Florida League of Mayors website.
- Essays must begin with this statement, “If I were elected Mayor. . .” and how Home Rule helps make their town a great place to live.
Judging criteria will include:
- Creativity, clarity, sincerity of thought, and appropriate grammar, spelling and essay construction.
- Essays should focus on how to make your town a better place, include a discussion regarding “Home Rule” and no other levels of government (i.e. school districts, special districts, school lunches, bullying, etc.)
Prizes are as follows:
- The 1st place winner will receive a $100 gift card and a chance to be “mayor” for a day.
- The 2nd place winner will receive a $50 gift card.
- The 3rd place winner will receive a $25 gift card.
For more information, please contact Linda Bridges at the Florida League of Cities office at 1-800-342-8112 or visit the Florida League of Mayors website at floridamayors.org.