Posted on May 24, 2018
Heavy Rainfall Anticipated, Friday, May 25 through Sunday, May 27
This Memorial Weekend, the National Weather Service is anticipating 3 to 6 inches of widespread rainfall and potential flooding for our area which is associated with a tropical system in the Gulf of Mexico. The rain is anticipated to begin, Friday, May 25 with the heaviest rain expected in our area on Saturday, May 26 and Sunday, May 27, 2018.
We are urging residents to take precautions before, during, and after this event to reduce the risk of damage to your home and ensure the safety of your family.
- The Town’s contractor is currently cleaning drains and gutters throughout the Town.
- If your bulk pickup is scheduled for Friday, May 25 and Saturday, May 26, please do not block drains with bulk items. At this time, no service interruptions are anticipated, however, routes may be slowed down due to street flooding or severe thunderstorms.
- Water pump equipment is on standby to assist in areas where it is feasible.
- The Town is coordinating with Central Broward Water Control District to continue to lower the canal levels in anticipation of the heavy rainfall this weekend.
- Staff is on standby to assist this weekend if needed.
- Clean all debris from gutters and drains near your home.
- Move furniture, valuables, and important documents to a safe place.
- Sign-up to receive emergency notifications from the Town of Davie at www.davie-fl.gov/AlertDavie
- Continue to monitor weather forecasts and conditions provided by the National Weather Service and your local news media for the latest information.
Encountering Flooding Actions:
- Never drive or walk into flood waters. A mere 6 inches of fast-moving flood water can knock over an adult. It takes just 12 inches of rushing water to carry away a small car, while 2 feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles.
- If instructed, turn off all utilities at the main power switch and the main gas valve.
- If told to evacuate your home by emergency personnel, do so immediately.
- If waters start to rise inside your house, retreat to the highest floor, attic, and, if necessary, the roof.
- If you come in contact with floodwaters, wash your hands with soap and water.
- Do not drive through a flooded area. If you come upon a flooded road, take another route.
- Look out for animals.
- Stay away from downed power lines or electrical wires.
- If safe to do so, report flooding to [email protected]
Sports and Special Events
The Town has several sports, aquatics and other events planned this weekend. Please monitor the Town’s website at www.davie-fl.gov and social media avenues for event statuses.
Please stay up-to-date on the latest alert from the Town of Davie at www.davie-fl.gov, like us on Facebook at TownOfDavie, Twitter at TownofDavie, or Instagram at townofdavie.