FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 30, 2019
RESIDENTS URGED TO FINALIZE PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE DORIAN
HURRICANE DORIAN ADVISORY #7
DAVIE, Fla.– With the possibility of hurricane-force winds and heavy rain, the Town of Davie is urging residents to finalize preparations prior to Hurricane Dorian’s landfall. Residents are reminded not to focus on the exact forecast track of the storm since strong winds and heavy rainfall extend well away from the center. The Town of Davie’s resident hotline, 954-797-1122, is now activated and will be updated continuously to provide information to our residents.
Solid Waste Services:
- Due to the conditions that are anticipated from Hurricane Dorian, the Town and Waste Management have suspended garbage and recycling services for Monday, September 2, 2019 and Tuesday, September 3, 2019. This will allow ample time for drivers and employees to empty the trucks and secure the facilities.
- Bulk pickup is canceled for Monday, September 2 through Saturday, September 7, 2019. Residents should not put bulk items out at this time. Bulk items left out as the storm approaches can become harmful projectiles in high winds. The Town’s Code Compliance inspectors will issue citations to homeowners who place bulk items both curbside and on the swale.
- Solid/commingled and recyclable materials and carts should be properly secured in a safe, sheltered location.
The Town of Davie is distributing sandbags to Davie residents at Pine Island Park (Bamford Sports Complex - See Map Below), 3801 S. Pine Island Road on Saturday, August 31, 2019 from 7 a.m. until supplies last. There is a limited supply. Each resident and/or household will only receive six bags of sand. Proof of residency is required (a Government-issued photo ID, a document that shows your Davie address such as a tax bill, TRIM notices, or voter registration).
Temporary Horse Release Registration Extended:
If you have not done so already, the deadline to register your horse for the Town of Davie’s Horse Release program is Saturday, August 31, 2019, at Pine Island Administration Office (modular building), 3801 S. Pine Island Road from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Please see the horse release application for requirements.
Parks and Facility Closures:
- The Pine Island Multipurpose Center is closed on Saturday, August 31, 2019, until further notice.
- The Pine Island Fitness and Aquatic Center is closed to the public until further notice.
- All parks will close at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 31, 2019, until further notice.
- The Town will post all Hurricane Dorian updates on the Town of Davie’s website at www.davie-fl.govand the Town of Davie’s social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram(@TownofDavie).
Next week, Hurricane Dorian has the potential to deliver a significant amount of rainfall that could lead to localized flooding. Residents are urged not to go outside or walk in a standing flood as the water may contain sewage and chemicals. Children and pets are strongly discouraged from going outside or playing in floodwaters. Following a heavy storm, sharp debris could be hidden in the water and cause injury. Standing water also may contain harmful bacteria that could cause infection. If downed power lines are hidden under standing water, there is the risk of electrocution.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Assistant
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases please email [email protected]and request that your email address be removed from this list.