FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 13, 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE #3:
TOWN OF DAVIE FACILITY CLOSURES, OPERATIONS, AND CANCELLATION UPDATES
DAVIE, Fla. – The Town is continuing normal operations but is encouraging primary contacts be made through telephone or email changes. Department and staff directory can be found on our website at www.davie-fl.gov.
Considering the public health concerns related to Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Town of Davie has elected to cancel upcoming events, activities, programs, meetings, and will be closing several Town facilities. Please see a complete list below:
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts
- Parks, open space and trails will remain open.
- Pine Island Multipurpose Center, Aquatics and Fitness Center will be closed effective tomorrow, March 14, 2020 until further notice.
- Previously authorized small-scale private facility rentals will be honored.
- No new rentals for Town facilities until further notice.
- All events at the Rodeo Arena are postponed.
- All organized activities including adult and youth sports, travel sports, recreation programming, and senior activities are suspended.
- Aftercare has been suspended due to the closure of Broward County Public Schools
- Day Camp and Spring Break Camp is canceled.
- The following Town-sponsored special events are canceled:
- Davie Day of Service
- Census Splashtacular Pool Party
- Opening Day Celebration at Bamford Sports Complex
- Water Matters Day
- Senior Citizen Fashion Show
- Davie Golf and Country Club remains open.
Town Council and CRA Board Meetings will be held as usually scheduled.
Boards, Committees and Meetings
Planning and Zoning Board, Site Plan Committee, and all advisory committee meetings are canceled until further notice
Pre-bid and pre-proposal procurement meetings will be held via teleconferencing.
- Quarterly vendor training sessions are suspended until further notice.
Police/Fire Rescue Departments
The Police and Fire Rescue Explorer program is suspended.
Special Magistrate meetings will be postponed.
Police Athletic League activities and aftercare are canceled.
“Protecting the health and wellbeing of our community and employees is our priority. We need to be proactive to prevent the spread of coronavirus in and around Davie by reducing the opportunities for exposure,” said Town Administrator Richard J. Lemack.
Key Points from Florida Department of Health (FDOH) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC):
- Practice good personal hygiene and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Practice “social distancing.” Read More
- If you are sick, stay home. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing and/or severe illness), call the Florida Department of Health at 954-412-7300 BEFORE visiting your health care provider, and follow their instructions.
- Be cognizant of the fact that our seniors are among the most vulnerable. Take steps to help protect the elderly from the spread.
- Wash your hands frequently, for at least 20 seconds, using antibacterial soap and hot water. Use hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and hot water is not available.
- DON’T TOUCH your face or directly touch public surfaces such as handrails, elevator buttons, restroom faucets, gasoline pumps, etc.
The Town will continue to post Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates on the Town of Davie’s website at www.davie-fl.gov/coronavirus and the Town of Davie’s social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram (@TownofDavie).
This is an opportunity to update or register for Town related updates and emergency notifications utilizing the following mediums:
For updated information regarding 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit www.floridahealth.gov or www.cdc.gov. If you are concerned that you have been exposed to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), please call the Florida Department of Health in Broward County at 954-412-7300 and your healthcare provider before traveling to any healthcare facility.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Assistant
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.