FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 18, 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE #8:
PINE ISLAND PARK CLOSURE; SCHOOL CLOSURE EXTENDED; SOLID WASTE MODIFICATIONS; STATE AND FEDERAL BUILDING CLOSURES
DAVIE, Fla., - As the situation surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) evolves, the Town of Davie continues to closely monitor, and we are urging all to adhere to the preventive guidelines issued by health officials. The Town has established an email address that residents can send any questions or concerns regarding COVID-19 and Town operations, [email protected].
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts
- Pine Island Park (Bamford Sports Complex) located at 3801 S. Pine Island Road is closed to the public until further notice. All other parks, open space and trails will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Park restrooms will not be open.
- Pine Island Aquatic and Fitness Centers located at 3800 S.W. 92nd Avenue are closed to the public until further notice.
- Davie Golf and Country Club remains open.
- All organized activities including adult and youth sports, travel sports, recreation programming, senior activities, and aftercare are suspended.
- Town-sponsored special events are canceled for month of March 2020.
Town Meetings and Advisory Committees/Boards
- The March 18 and April 1, 2020, Town Council and CRA meetings have been cancelled.
- Planning and Zoning Board, Site Plan Committee, and all advisory committee meetings are canceled until further notice
- Pre-bid and pre-proposal procurement meetings will be held via teleconferencing.
- Quarterly vendor training sessions are suspended until further notice.
Broward County Public School Closures Extended:
Governor Ron DeSantis issued an order extending closures for all Broward County Public Schools through April 15, 2020, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He also announced the cancellation of this year’s Pre-K and K-12 students’ testing in Florida. For further information regarding public schools, please go to www.browardschools.com/coronavirus.
Waste Management Modifications
Based on the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Public Health Agency of Canada, and federal, state and local agencies, Waste Management is taking necessary steps in response to social distancing recommendations, potential mitigation activity, and declared local states of emergency.
- Effective March 18, 2020, Waste Management is temporarily closing residential call centers to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). However, electronic customer communications are still available through email and live chat at https://www.wm.com/us/en/support
- Remote operations are being coordinated to serve customers during this situation with the goal of resuming residential call handling as soon as possible.
- Currently, there is no impact to your scheduled residential collection service.
- For the most up-to-date service information, please visit www.wm.com/weather-alert/index.jsp
- The COVID-19 situation is evolving daily. As circumstances change, that may impact the ability to provide services as scheduled, we will provide updates to our customers and communities.
Florida Power & Light (FPL)
For customers experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19, FPL has made resources available to assist its customers. A good place to learn more about all the resources available is FPL.com/Help. For now, FPL is suspending disconnections at least through the end of March.
Dedicated Shopping Hours for Seniors – Effective March 17 and 18:
- Dollar General - Beginning Tuesday, March 17, the first hour of operations will be dedicated to senior shoppers. All stores will also close an hour earlier in order for employees to clean and restock shelves.
- Target – The first hour of shopping each Wednesday, is dedicated to vulnerable guests to acquire needed items.
- Whole Foods - All Whole Foods Market stores in the U.S. and Canada will service customers who are 60 and older one hour before opening to the general public, under the new adjusted hours posted on the store’s web page. (example: if a store’s new hours are 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., customers who are 60+ can shop starting at 8 a.m.).
Broward County Libraries
In an abundance of caution and acknowledging the expressed concerns and state of uncertainty regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), Broward County Library Locations will closed to the public following regular service hours on Thursday, March 19, 2020. All libraries will remain closed to the public until further notice.
Broward County Libraries will be canceling all events includes all events (classes, programs, workshops, story times, outreach events, room reservations etc.) until further notice.
Broward County Courthouse Closures
All four Broward County courthouses are closed to the public for two weeks in an effort to help curb the spread of coronavirus. Please note there are a few exceptions.
Bars, Nightclubs and Restaurants
Governor Ron DeSantis has ordered all bars and nightclubs to shut down on March 17, 2020 at 5 p.m., for the next 30 days. Restaurants are required to cut their crowd capacity by 50%, separate seated customers by a distance of at least six feet, no parties of 10 or more people, and screen employees before allowing them to work to see if they are feeling ill.
Old Davie School Historical Museum
All tours of the museum are canceled until further notice. For more information regarding current or future events, please email or call the office at 954-787-1044. In the meantime, follow them for updates and behind-the-scenes content.
Town Hall Operations
Town of Davie closed all government offices to the public as of Monday, March 16, 2020, at 5 p.m. Residents are urged to continue to contact Town departments through telephone or email. Department and staff directory can be found on our website at www.davie-fl.gov/directory. We encourage residents to reduce exposure to large gatherings and if possible, stay home.
Residents who receive their utility bill from the Town of Davie are encouraged to pay online at www.davie-fl.gov/UtilitiesPaymentCenter. If you need to drop off payments in-person, please utilize the drop box located on the western side of Davie Town Hall, 6591 Orange Drive.
College and Universities in Davie
Publix, Target, Walmart, and Winn Dixie – Modified Hours
Publix, Target, Walmart and Winn Dixie have modified their operating hours. All Publix stores will close at 8 p.m. All Target and Winn Dixie stores will close at 9 p.m. Local 24-hour Walmarts will now close at 11 p.m.
Key Points from the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC):
- Practice good personal hygiene and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Practice “social distancing.” Read More
- If you are sick, stay home. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing and/or severe illness), call the Florida Department of Health at 954-412-7300 BEFORE visiting your health care provider, and follow their instructions.
- Be cognizant of the fact that our seniors are among the most vulnerable. Take steps to help protect the elderly from the spread.
- Wash your hands frequently, for at least 20 seconds, using antibacterial soap and hot water. Use hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and hot water are not available.
- DON’T TOUCH your face or directly touch public surfaces such as handrails, elevator buttons, restroom faucets, gasoline pumps, etc.
Please take this opportunity to update or register for Town of Davie related updates and emergency notifications utilizing the following mediums:
For updated information regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit www.floridahealth.gov or www.cdc.gov. If you are concerned that you have been exposed to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), please call the Florida Department of Health in Broward County at 954-412-7300 and your healthcare provider before traveling to any healthcare facility.
The resident hotline is activated at this time to ensure open lines of communications are available to our residents. Please continuously check the resident hotline for updates on various COVID-19 updates at 954-797-1122.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Assistant