FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 20, 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE #10:
EXECUTIVE ORDERS ISSUED; IRS; SPOT A SCAM
DAVIE, Fla., - Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an unprecedented virus that is causing Town officials to continuously reassess plans and make modifications to protect the health and welfare of the residents, businesses, and visitors. For all prior information posted, please visit our website at www.davie-fl.gov/coronavirus.
Governor Ron DeSantis Executive Orders
The Town of Davie is adhering to all Executive Orders issued by Governor Ron DeSantis. Today, March 20, 2020, Governor DeSantis issued Executive Orders 20-69 (Local Government Public Meetings), 20-70 (Broward and Palm Beach Closures), 20-71 (Alcohol Sales, Restaurants, and Gyms), and 20-72 (Non-essential Elective Medical Procedures).
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service are providing special payment relief to individuals and businesses in response to the COVID-19 Outbreak. The filing deadline for tax returns remains April 15, 2020. The IRS urges taxpayers who are owed a refund to file as quickly as possible. For those who can’t file by the April 15, 2020 deadline, the IRS reminds individual taxpayers that everyone is eligible to request a six-month extension to file their return.
Individuals: Income tax payment deadlines for individual returns, with a due date of April 15, 2020, are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $1 million of their 2019 tax due. This payment relief applies to all individual returns, including self-employed individuals, and all entities other than C-Corporations, such as trusts or estates. IRS will automatically provide this relief to taxpayers. Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this relief.
Corporations: For C Corporations, income tax payment deadlines are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $10 million of their 2019 tax due.
This relief also includes estimated tax payments for the tax year 2020 that are due on April 15, 2020.
Penalties and interest will begin to accrue on any remaining unpaid balances as of July 16, 2020. If you file your tax return or request an extension of time to file by April 15, 2020, you will automatically avoid interest and penalties on the taxes paid by July 15.
Town of Davie Resident Hotline
The resident hotline is activated at this time to ensure open lines of communications are available to our residents. Please continuously check the resident hotline for updates on various COVID-19 updates at 954-797-1122.
As fears over COVID-19 (coronavirus) are on the rise, so are scammers who are trying to exploit the situation. From cheap and shoddy merchandise to phishing emails and fake charitable causes, criminals are cashing in on this epidemic.
Spot a Scam:
- Scams can include social media posts, texts and websites meant to take your personal information and money and infect computers.
- Think twice before investing in companies who say they are working on a coronavirus cure. Check official sources like the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission before being lured into a scam.
- Be aware of fake fundraising. Verify the charity is legitimate. If someone wants donations in cash, gift card or by wiring money, don’t do it.
- Watch out for online marketing of vaccinations or products claiming to treat the virus.
- Do not click on unfamiliar links or emails. Phishing emails may mention the coronavirus, medical supplies or claim to be from government, national or local health organizations in order to get users to open the message that unleashes malware.
- Watch for emails claiming to be from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or experts saying they have information about the virus.
- Be aware of entering personal information into websites.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at www.davie-fl.gov/directory.
For updated information regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit www.floridahealth.gov or www.cdc.gov. If you are concerned that you have been exposed to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), please call the Florida Department of Health in Broward County at 954-412-7300 and your healthcare provider before traveling to any healthcare facility.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Assistant