FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JULY 8, 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE 52:
FACIAL COVERINGS REQUIRED AT TOWN PARKS, OPEN SPACES AND TRAILS
DAVIE, Fla. - The Town of Davie is committed to keeping residents, members, guests, and staff safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. To help curtail the spread of COVID-19, Town Administrator Richard J. Lemack is directing all individuals, who are not exercising, actively engaged in an organized sport activity, or horseback riding, to wear a facial covering while visiting a Town of Davie park, open space or trail. This mandate excludes anyone who cannot wear facial coverings due to medical conditions and persons under 2 years of age. The directive is effective Thursday, July 9, 2020, at 12:01 a.m.
For participants in physical activity, they must put on a facial covering upon completion of their activity following a cool down period. The facial coverings are for use regardless of distance separation or while in the company of same household members. The use of facial covering will be enforced by the Town of Davie Police Department, Code Compliance, Park Rangers and the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts staff. Noncompliance will result in dismissal from the park or may result in closing parks, open spaces or trails. Facial coverings must cover the person’s nose and mouth and comply with the CDC recommendations located at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-facecoverings.html.
Davie park amenities open for use:
- Tennis courts are open for singles and doubles play only. Tennis courts at Pine Island Park/Bamford Sports Complex are closed for resurfacing.
- Pickleball courts are open for singles and doubles play only.
- Volleyball courts are open for singles and doubles play only.
- Basketball courts are open for individual use and limited to three people per half court. No pick-up games are permitted.
- Youth athletic leagues are able to operate by Town permit only. All leagues must adhere to Emergency Order 20-15 and guidelines provided by the leagues sanctioning authority.
- Skate Park will be open with a reduced capacity of 10 participants at a time.
Restrooms in Bamford Sports Complex will be open during permitted activities only. All other park restrooms will remain closed.
The hours of operations for Parks and Recreation facilities and parks are:
- All Town of Davie parks and open spaces are open for passive use except for Peaceful Ridge Dog Park due to construction.
- Parks and open spaces are open starting at 9 a.m. and closing at 7 p.m. daily.
- Pine Island Park/Bamford Sports Complex is open starting at 9 a.m. and closing at 9 p.m. Monday – Friday and will be open starting at 9 a.m. and closing at 7 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Park restrooms will not be open.
- Operational changes still in effect at parks include the suspension of facility rentals, transactions at parks, youth and adult programs, and activities at community centers.
While parks and trails are open, the following amenities and activities are prohibited:
- All organized recreation programs and events are suspended
- Social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people is not allowed
- Dog parks
- Grills and grilling
- Indoor Gymnasiums
- Outdoor fitness equipment areas
- Playgrounds and play areas
- Pavilions and shelters
- Splash pad
Pine Island Fitness Center
Open for members and residents. The daily drop-in rate will apply to all non-members.
- Monday – Friday: 5 a.m. – 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
Pine Island Aquatics Center
- Monday – Friday: 5 a.m. – 7 p.m. (reservation only)
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. (reservation only)
- Sunday: Closed
The swimming pool is open for lap swimming and swim team practice only. Lane reservations must be made in advance. Members and residents are given priority.
To ensure lane availability, reservations should be made within the specified timeframes below:
- Members five days in advance
- Residents three days in advance
- Non-residents one day in advance
- To make reservations, please call 954-327-3926.
Residents should continue to adhere to the restrictions and other guidance for safety and social distancing issued by local and state health officials, before traveling to a Town park. Please dispose of all personal protective equipment properly while visiting Town parks.
For more information, please contact the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department at 954-797-1146.
For the latest updates regarding COVID-19, visit FloridaHealth.gov, email [email protected] or call the COVID Call Center at 954-357-9500.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.