TROPICAL STORM ETA UPDATE #9
FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT; TOWN OPERATIONS UPDATE; SOLID WASTE SERVICES; MOSQUITO CONTROL
DAVIE, Fla., - The Town continues to experience impacts from Tropical Storm Eta. An additional 1-3” of rain is forecasted across the state over the next few days. Gusts to tropical-storm-force winds are still possible in the heavier rain bands today: 30-45 mph. Please be advised that a flood watch is in effect and will continue until Wednesday, November 11, 2020, at 7 p.m. for the coastal and metro areas of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach.
Town Parks, Fitness and Aquatic Services
- Due to the excessive flooding from Tropical Storm Eta, all Town parks will remain closed through Wednesday, November 11, 2020.
- The Pine Island Fitness and Aquatic Center will remain closed through Wednesday, November 11, 2020.
Solid Waste Information
Waste Management will continue to operate its normal solid waste schedule for Town of Davie communities. If roadway flooding exceeds 4 inches, Waste Management will not service the street and will come back on the next scheduled date.
The Town is working diligently to get flooded areas resolved. To report flooding in your area, please contact the Public Works & Capital Projects Department at 954-797-1240 or email [email protected], Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Residents are advised to bring inside any items that can hold standing water, to prevent mosquito breeding after rainfall dissipates. The best protection from mosquito-transmitted diseases is to avoid exposure to mosquitoes.
- Keep doors and windows closed.
- Stay indoors at dusk and dawn.
- Dress in long-sleeved and light-colored clothing in a known mosquito-infested area.
To request spraying in your area, please visit https://www.broward.org/Mosquito/Pages/MosquitoServiceRequest.aspx or call 311 on a mobile device or 954-765-4062 from a landline.
Town of Davie Horse Release Program
The Town of Davie is offering a horse refuge site for residents whose horse stalls may have been significantly impacted by Tropical Storm Eta. A limited number of horses will be accommodated at Bergeron Rodeo Grounds, 4201 Rodeo Way, Davie, FL 33314.
The site is open for horses pre-registered and approved for the Town of Davie Horse Release Program until further notice.
Click here to view the application.
For more information contact Anna Francis, Event Specialist, 954-829-6922, [email protected] or Simone James, Special Events Coordinator, 954-218-1320, [email protected].
Water and Sewer System
Residents are asked to minimize water and sewage usage after the storm so as not to overly impact the system. Also, please expect that water pressure will be lower than normal.
Avoid Flood Dangers
- Do not walk through, swim, or allow children to play in standing water. Puddles and standing water are full of hidden dangers, including snakes and other wildlife, broken glass, and other sharp objects.
- Do not drive through standing water. Your car engine may stall, potentially causing irreparable damage to the engine. The wake from your car may cause additional flooding in nearby homes and other structures. If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route. Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
There are multiple ways to register and stay informed about important information from the Town of Davie before, during, and after an emergency event:
The Town of Davie is committed to ensuring the safety of all persons and we are calling on you to prepare with us. Knowing your risk, getting prepared, and staying informed are just a few steps you can take.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases, please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.